Web development is a term used for creation of content management systems or CMS for the work involved in developing a web site for the Internet or a private network i.e. Intranet.
Web development includes within it tasks like web engineering, web content development, web design, client side / server side scripting, e commerce development. Web development can range from developing a simple web page of plain text to most complex web based internet applications for electronic businesses and social network services.
Content management systems can be created from the scratch, proprietary or through open source. Basically CMS acts a middleware between database and the user through the browser .CMS also allows non-technical people to make changes to their web pages without having slightest of technical knowledge.”Web development” usually includes the main non-design aspects of creating web sites: writing markup and coding.
A web developer is a person who creates programs and applications for the World Wide Web. A web developer is aprogrammer who knows how to build a website from the scratch: they can create custom code to facilitate your unique needs, developing everything from the site layout to features and functions on the webpage.
Web programming, is also called as web development, is the art of creating dynamic web applications. Examples of web applications are social networking sites like Facebook or e-commerce sites like Amazon.
Web development can be divided into three parts:
- Server side scripting: code that executes on a web browser and mechanics of how a website works. A back-end or server side scripting uses a database to generate the front-end.for example, if you log into your Facebook account, and once you are greeted with the latest updates in your News Feed. They will not be the same updates that we saw yesterday. How did the page change or it was the work of a Facebook employee who manually edit the page? Of course not. A script on the Facebook back-end would have received the updates and re-generated the front-end accordingly.
Back-end scripts are written in different coding languages and frameworks like PHP, python, pearl, Java, node.js
- Database technology: it basically helps keep a website running smoothly
Skills required to look for in a web developer:
- Design skills: you need to have the overall design in your mind even before you start coding a website. as a web developer , you must know how to build mobile first websites that are responsive to all screen shapes and sizes .Design paradigms helps make the website more functional and friendly asides from making website look pretty ,familiar ,modern and integrated into cutting edge internet trends that viewers are accustomed to
- Knowledge of HTML: A web developer must understand the basics of coding and markup language of all the markup languages, HyprTextMarkup language (HTML) is standard. All the web pages on internet are practically formed by HTML. The way a web developer writes the HTML effects on how a website functions.
- Knowledge of CSS: For your website to actually display as a website, one relies on CSS.
Cascading style sheets (CSS) analyzes the documents written in a markup language.it is a more stylized representation of HTML language. CSS also describes how HTML document will look visually and lays the foundations for a website’s font ,colors and overall layout. CSS helps giving website its style and looks whereas HTML builds the skeleton of a website. HTML and CSS are the most basic skills required from a web developer.
- Photoshop : you can have plenty of fun editing , styling and designing your websites with Photoshop ,hence you may even design handful of logos ,advertisements and banners for clients or for your website ,hence as a web developer ,Photoshop skills is a pre requisite.it will help you perform better and faster with efficiency . In other words Photoshop is primarily used for planning websites
- Analytical skills: There is a marketing side to the job of a web developer which very few people understand; therefore web developers need a very strong understanding of consumers, especially web consumers. of course most successful websites are most functional and profitable. However consumer behaviors are constantly changing, so the design, development skills and coding has to revolve around it to satisfy the needs and wants of consumers. Therefore analytical skills are necessary to understand the audience and different types of clients to create a website that sells by understanding your consumers better.
- SEO: now a day’s websites need search engine marketing to drive traffic and secure leads.it is basically a driving force behind modern day marketing. Mostly people prefer to find products and services through online searches. To high up enough on search engine page results, websites need to implement SEO. Domain credibility, page upload speed and keyword content are just a few SEO skills that web developers must learn.
SEO can be used by web developers to help their websites rank better and garner more traffic. The demand for SEO is growing as more and more businesses are looking to make SEO part of their marketing campaigns.
- WORDPRESS: word press is used to edit and modify web pages, add plugins and run tests for bugs as it is a free content management system that is excellent for both beginners as well as established web developers. Also it is relatively easy to use
- Being able to manage time and keeping up to date with the industry: projects keep stacking up and deadlines are always round the corner so as a web developer, its vital to manage your time as best as possible. Communication with your client or boss is equally important if you think you cannot match a deadline. Another important point is to stay up to date with design trends, follow blogs,visiting expos and conferences is a great idea since it helps to gain new ideas and insights.
Here are some examples of client-side languages a web developer must know
- Microsoft Silverlight
The following are examples of server-side languages
These are relational database management systems (RDBMS) most popular for web-based applications:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- IBM DB2
BECOME A MASTER OF WEB DEVELOPER SKILLS:
There are web development jobs all over the world and by mastering these skills one can be entitled to compete for highest paying jobs. As technology advances, web development industry will grow exponentially.
A lot of people getting into web development make the mistake of putting all their efforts and energy into improving one or more of these skill sets while ignoring others. Often people focus on their coding without developing on their analytical skills or soft skills.
The truth is to ensure a successful career as a web developer one must develop all the skills required for becoming a well-rounded web developer.
IMPORTANCE OF WEB DEVELOPMENT:
Website development is a way to make people aware of the services and/or products you are offering, and make them understand that why your products and services are relevant or even necessary for them to buy or use, and to give it a competitive edge over its competitors. Displaying this content with high-quality images and a catchy presentation will have a huge influence on clients and consumers, and it is essential to strive towards making your product or service as relatable and appealing as possible.
A website development tool allows company to get in touch with millions of web surfers all over the world and provides companies with a platform for this necessary web presence. This makes the companies accessible to the global population and gives business the chance to portray them in the best way possible. Website development can include anything ranging from simple programming data of a website to network security, client liaison and web server configuration e commerce development and more. it includes everything from simple plain texts to complex web based applications .some web developers include design and website building while others leave it strictly at coding and writing mark up.
A successful website is one that attracts maximum number of visitors and it goes without saying that the better it looks the more number of people it will attract. Web development is crucial if you want your business to flourish. Online presence helps to keep you your customers forever in today’s digital era .
The content of the website should accurately depict what services your company offers or what products it sells and be geared towards enticing site’s visitors in order to keep them engaged.
If your business has an online presence, you create the potential to have consumers for life while having a web presence is equally important as the paramount quality of whatever products and services you are selling. Online presence is truly a great way to generate more business and to beat the competition.